. Integral Full CFRP struts.
For decades the industry standard in struts was composite tubes with metal end fittings. Struts attachment fittings have been very difficult to manufacture with lightweight FRP (fibre reinforced
polymer) materials due to limitations of the FRP manufacturing technologies.
The struts/rods/beams developped by Space Structures are a true innovation and World First. They are manufactured as an integral single piece including the fittings - everything in CFRP!
The SpaceStrut™ family of struts has the following unique characteristics:
- Full CFRP . including the interfaces
- Maximum ultra-lightweight . 50 - 80 % mass saving depending on length
- Dimensionally stable . No thermal expansion, insensitive to thermal cycling. Special DoubleZero™ variant with zero CTE and CME. CTE can also be customised.
- Reduction of number of parts . By integration of attachment brackets into strut design
Other properties and advantages of SpaceStrut™ family include:
- Variety of interfaces . Single lug, fork lugs, inclined, threaded, implementation of metal bushings or even bearings possible.
- Customisable . Almost any custom performance and geometry possible
- Space qualified . Suitable for any industry with high performance requirements
- Environment friendly . Smaller footprint because the energy intensive manufacturing and chemical bonding of metallic fittings (often Titanium or even Invar) is removed from the process.
Ultra-light structures also reduce the propellant consumption during launch of space vehicles.
- Spacecraft primary structures
- Mounts of optical equipment
- General truss / lattice structures
- Robot arms and legs
- Panel-to-panel supports
- Bipods / Hexapods
- Rocket inter- /upper-stage structures
- Optical benches
- Lunar and planetary Lander structures
- Telescope structures
- Lunar and planetary rover structures
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 650018 (Phase 1) and No 696376 (Phase 2).